New Tires, Ball Joints, and Alignment

After our last trip to the ocean, I decided it was time for new tires on our F250 pickup which is our tow vehicle.  So I went to Les Schwab ( our regional tire dealer and got a new set of tires installed on some nicer rims that I had purchased several years ago.  

They couldn't check the alignment due to worn ball joints.  Their estimate was $800, which I passed on.  I watched a few You Tube videos and determined that I could do this repair.  So I ordered a set of Moog ball joints and a tie rod end off Amazon.  When the parts came in, I borrowed a bearing press from our local Oreillys auto parts store.  

I started with the right side and that one took about 8 hours spread over 2 days.  The left  side only took about 5 hours. This is a heavy job to do with heavy parts and high value torque settings. I don't think I'll do it ever again. Due to a sore back I waited a couple days before installing the tie rod end. While I was at it, I adjusted the play out of the steering box.  The result of these changes were dramatic and when I took the truck back for an alignment check, it was totally in spec!

So now we are ready for more travel trailer adventures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 5, 2019 - Purchasing a travel trailer

November 14, 2019 - A day at Fort Worden State Park

Ft. Casey 2020